Activity Director Training Program
To view upcoming training dates, please see the Schedule of Events
IHCA-ICAL is pleased to present this Activity Directors Training Course. Well-trained and motivated activity staff, significantly add to the quality of life of residents in Nursing and Assisted Living facilities. This course is designed to provide a basic training for those new to the activity profession. This training is also an excellent course for Activity Assistants and the most experienced Activity Director.
- This course has been approved by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Bureau of Facility Standards, to meet the training requirements set forth in Federal Regulation F248.
- Classroom training consists of 6 Modules for ADs in Assisted Living Facilities and 6 Modules for ADs in Skilled Nursing Facilities (21 Hours for ALs and 34 Hours for SNFs).
- Self-study Assignments prior to the classroom trainings (3 Hours for ALs and 6 Hours for SNFs). (emailed upon class registration)
- Supervised experience is required to demostrate the participant's abilities to conduct the functions of Activity Directors in an LTC facility (1040 hours).
- Classroom training takes place approximately every 6 months at the IHCA-ICAL Classroom in Meridian, ID.
The format for this training program is competency (skill-level) based - with a focus on the participant. Each competency is a statement that represents the knowledge, skills and attitude that effective Activity Directors should have. Each participant brings a unique background and varied experiences to this class.
Participants will have access to self-assessment tools in the beginning of each Module. The intent of this exercise is to identify areas of expertise that should be most focused upon for self-improvement. (provided in the Class Manual)
And at the end of each module, there will be a self-assessment tool of knowledge. Each participant should complete the self-assessment so as to identify how well the module content is understood. (provided as a Classroom Assignment)
The content presented is not meant to be all-inclusive. Many skills are learned best by doing. The learning resources available to the Activity Director are many, and self-directed learning following this course of training is strongly encouraged. Indeed, even essential to future success in the Activity Profession.
Hours Of Instruction:
This training program meets one of the qualifying options for Activity Directors identified in the document, Guidance To Surveyors – Long Term Care Facilities (Tag Number F249, pp 59), issued by Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, Bureau of Facility Standards.
In order to achieve a Certificate of Completion for this course, participants are required to execute the following:
1) SNF participants are required to complete thirty-four (34) hours of classroom instruction / AL participants are required to complete twenty-one (21) hours of classroom training. (sample agenda below)
2) Actual work experience in a long-term care facility is also required for successful course completion. Hours accumulated prior to attending the training can be included.
- A Mandatory 1040 hours of supervised work experience encompasses: Planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating projects and/or programs for residents.
3) Completing each self-study assignment (3 Hours for ALs and 6 Hours for SNFs) - assignments will be emailed at the time of registration.
Sample Training Agenda ...Click Here
Modules and Competencies...Click Here
Verification of Work Experience Form... Click Here
Sample Case Studies (SNF Only)....Coming Soon